As you keep using your laptop or PC, the hard drive (actually the data on it) gets fragmented. What exactly that term means is that the files gets scattered here, there and anywhere. As a result the computer becomes slow as it would need to find the files it needs from among the scattered files. That would be something akin to what would happen to us if our files are scattered all over the cabin. It would be easy to locate the file easily if they are arranged as per the heading, or the purpose. That is actually a defragmentation tool does on a computer. The files are arranged in the order.
A best disk defragmenter tool will arrange the files in a properly organised locations on the drive so that finding a particular file, reading the data from it, or writing the data to it takes less time, and thus your computer performs faster. Some of the Best disk defragmenter Free Softwares will be discussed here in this article.
List of 5 Best disk defragmenter Free Softwares/Tools
Piriform has always been a huge name when it comes to the PC maintenance programs. Defraggler is one of the best defragmentation utilities that is available for free.
You can use it to defrag the entire disk or only the free space on a disk. Defraggler can be used with an internal or an external drive.
A few salient features that the tool offers you include
- You can use the software for defragmenting only a particular section of a drive.
- Defraggler can be scheduled to run at the startup.
- You can exclude certain areas from being defragged.
- It can be used in a portable form with the flash drives.
- It has support for NTFS and FAT32 file formats.
- Trustworthy software from Piriform, which is a reliable tool with CCleaner and Recuva.
- It can well integrate with Windows Shell and thus can effectively be used in place of default defragmentation tool.
- Health tab constantly monitors the system status.
- May not be suitable for defragmenting SSDs. In fact, it may shorten their life.
- It does not offer the customisation options available in other defragmentation tools.
Smart Defrag is the ultimate when it comes to the power of customisation. It offers some really advanced settings.
Some of the special features that set it apart from the competition are
- You can set several customised defrag options.
- It is the best one when you want an automatic scheduling of defragmentation.
- It can also remove junk files from Explorer and Internet Explorer.
- You can use it as a boot time defrag tool as well.
- It can streamline your files based on the usage frequency.
- It offers maximum drive efficiency.
- It can work faster in the background and thus best suited for the larger drives.
- It offers you multiple defragmentations types like Quick Defrag, File Prioritised Defrag, and Optimised Defrag.
- You can exclude files or folders you wish from being defragmented. Thus you can have selective defrag.
- It cannot check if a drive has errors.
- No support for idle defrag
- Some of the options are not available in the free version.
This is a multifunctional tool that would perform a huge lot of functionalities. A free tool that has multiple subsets of programs that help you optimise the performance of your computer. That includes defragmentation and that is exactly why we have included the tool on our list of best defragmentation tools.
Here we go with some of the best features of the tool
- The included defragmentation tool is not that customizable as Smart Defrag but offers a powerful performance.
- You can set different parameters to defrag the drives of your choice.
- The tool lets you perform two types of defrags – Basic and Intelligent.
- Ashampoo provides the Boot time defrag option as well.
- The tool contains multiple modules.
- Intuitive interface
- Offers you multiple defragmentation options.
- The installation demands some unneeded installations. Beware of installing them.
Ultra Defrag is one of the fastest and lightest defragmentation tools you can opt for. You will not get many customisation options, though. However, you get the basic features to get the work done.
Some of the features that make it special include
- You have access to quick defragmentation.
- The tool supports boot time defrag.
- Ultra Defrag can defragment the MFT – Master File Table as well, thus making you experience faster processing.
- It can be used both by advanced users and novices as well.
- It consists of a small setup file.
- The tool has the option to check the drive for errors.
- It can defrag both external, and internal drives
- You can use it to defrag specific folders and files.
- Boot time defrag supported
- There is no user interface for editing
- Scheduled defrag is a little tougher.
Puran Defrag is yet another lightweight and straight forward defragmentation tool. One of the best features of the tool is the context sensitive button that makes the tasks quite easier.
Some of the best features of the tool include
- There are no different defragging options. However, the application is much easy to use.
- It fills gaps so that frequent fragmentations can be avoided.
- Puran defrag can optimise directories and boost the overall speed.
- The tool supports boot time defrag.
- If a few extra features are what, you look for, Puran defrag is your prime choice.
- The small size of the installation file.
- It can analyse multiple drives simultaneously.
- The tool can remove temporary internet files as part of its defragmentation process.
- Puran Defrag supports idle defragging.
- There is no portable installer option.
- The defrag analysis reports are not easy to comprehend.
- Installs additional, unneeded tools at the time of installation. It would be better to opt for custom installation.
The final words
Defragging your computer is the most important task you need to undertake if you want to take care of it. We would advise you to defragment your drive at least once every month. That would keep most of the other issues that may affect you at bay.
Windows comes with a default defragmenter that works perfectly, however, using the third party tools featured above can be a good option. The customisation options coupled with boot time defragmentation is what can work wonders with respect to an efficient defragmentation of your drives. We would love to hear the views and opinions of our readers with respect to the defrag tools featured in our top picks.